Download Latest Snapshot • Vivaldi Forum
Vivaldi is now a viable alternative to replace the out-of-date Opera 12.18, which does not work on an increasing number of sites. I am waiting for the built-in email client and some more customising options, before I stop using Opera entirely, but Vivaldi is now my default browser.
Site Settings • Page Tiling • Page Zoom • Page Actions • Vivaldi Settings • Web Panels
Final 1.0 • 1.1 • 1.2 • 1.3 • 1.4 • 1.5 • 1.6 • 1.7 • 1.8 • 1.9 • 1.10 • 1.11 • 1.12 • 1.13 • 1.14 • 1.15 • 2.0
Latest Snapshot • Bugs
Some Useful Threads
- Setting up Vivaldi Webmail in your email client.
- Cleaning your Profile — If your Vivaldi stops working properly, cleaning your profile is more likely to fix it than reinstalling, unless you make a completely new installation using the Standalone option, and reimport your bookmarks or use Sync to recover your data.
- History of Releases — All Final Versions and all Snapshots since the latest Final
- Snapshot vs Stable — An explanation of the different release channels for Vivaldi
- Vivaldi Store — Some T-Shirts, Mugs, Caps, etc., with the Vivaldi Logo
- Web Panels — Some web panels recommended by other users
- When It’s Ready — Read this if you’re getting impatient and want to know why your favourite feature has not been implemented yet or why your pet bug has not be fixed
- Vivaldi Bug Status — The Bug-Tracker is closed, but some insiders have access to it and can let you know about the latest status if you tell them the bug number
Vivaldi Wins Gold Award
Web User Magazine
They tested (in alphabetical order) Brave, Chrome, Edge, Epic, Firefox, Maxthon, Opera, Pale Moon, Tor and Vivaldi. Vivaldi won the Gold Award, with Chrome and Opera in second and third place respectively.
Five Reasons to Use Vivaldi instead of Chrome or Firefox
1) Tab-stacking, 2) Notes, 3) Quick Commands, 4) Mouse Gestures, and 5) Tab Tiling
I use Tab Tiling, Notes, and Mouse Gestures daily. The Reader View and Web Panels also deserve a mention. Japanese users are enthusiastic about the Vertical Reader View. Web Panels are especially powerful. I use one for Bing Translation of forum posts or entire web pages. One can also play a video in a panel while browsing as Vivaldi currently lacks a Video Pop-out, which is one of the top feature requests.
TechCrunch: (January 27th 2015):
“The former CEO of Opera, Jon von Tetzchner, has released the Vivaldi Browser for fans of the old Opera. This initial release is a Technical Preview, i.e. it is neither feature complete, nor free from bugs that might spoil your day.
It uses the Chromium rendering engine like the new Opera. It already has Panels, Tab-stacking, Notes, Speed Dial, and Customisable shortcuts and Tabs. Built-in email is planned, but mail is limited to web mail at the moment.”
It may be some time before this is ready to use as your primary browser, but it’s already worth a look if you’re a fan of the old Opera. Offer some constructive feedback on Vivaldi.net.
The settings dialogue already has a lot of options. Use the search field to locate them.
Click the site info icon in the address bar to display a popup menu showing the settings for the current site.
The Cookies link on this popup tells you about the cookies set for the current site.
If one or more tabs are selected, the tiling icon is active, allowing the tiles to be tiled horizontally, vertically, or as a grid. Tiling can also be removed if it is already enabled for the current tab. In the latest Snapshot, tiles can now be resized by dragging the separator.
Images can be hidden or displayed on the current page, or only cached images can be shown.
The Zoom Slider allows the page zoom to be changed with the range 20% to 500% in 10% increments. Any value in that range can be set by entering it in the zoom field to the right of the slider. Click on Reset to change it back to whatever default value you have set in Settings, Webpages. In Settings, Appearance, Use Buttons in Range control. to choose between a slider and buttons. This affects all controls that have a range slider.
Vivaldi has a Page Actions button <> at the bottom right of the interface, just to the left of the Zoom slider.
Click this to show a popup menu of something akin to User Style sheets in Opera 12.18.
The most useful of them may be Reader View, which enlarges fonts, hides media, and changes the background to grey. Open an article on any BBC news article to see a Reader View icon in the URL field that toggles this mode on/off.
Filter Invert may be helpful for those who prefer white text on a black background.
Filter Black and White works as one would expect. This may be useful for colour-blind users if a site uses text on coloured backgrounds that is hard to read.
The Filter Obscure option offers some privacy if someone is looking over your shoulder. If it is left enabled, moving the mouse cursor to the page shows the page content again. Mouse-over the Page Actions icon to obscure the page content.
Vivaldi uses CSS for the page and interface elements. The Page Actions mentioned above apply CSS styles to the page.
Ask on the forums if you need help on using CSS. Almost anything can be changed if you know how. I hope that it will be made easier to make changes in future versions.
Changes are lost on installing updates, so follow the recommendation given in this post.
Vivaldi is already usable as a secondary browser. It has the most important features: Auto-update, Bookmark import from Opera 12.18 and other browsers, customisable shortcuts, basic mouse gestures, tab-stacking, find in page, and tab tiling is an excellent feature that already exceeds what could be done in Opera, even though Vivaldi lacks a Multiple Document Interface (MDI).
The developers release regular snapshots, fixing bugs and adding new features. Bookmark the Vivaldi Blog to keep abreast of developments. Help, check for updates to see if you have the latest version. The update check will happen automatically on launching Vivaldi. You can opt to install now or skip for now, and update later.
The image below shows how tiles can now be resized by dragging in Snapshot 1.16.1230.3. The Toggle UI shortcut (default = Ctrl F11) will hide toolbars, which can be shown again with other shortcuts. Click the image to see the Vivaldi window with a vertically tiled tab-stack showing the previews, which update to show the current page view. Tab stacks can be closed with the close button, and each tab in the stack has its own close button on the tab preview. Two or more tabs in a stack can be tiled vertically. Stacked tabs can be pinned by using a shortcut, but pinned tabs cannot be stacked.
Snapshot 220.127.116.11 introduced web panels. These are usually web pages designed for mobiles, which are narrow enough to look good in the side panel. My Vimeo Web Panel can be used to watch videos while you are working. Copy the URL of the panel, and add it to the side panel in Vivaldi. The mobile version of Bing Microsoft Translate also makes a very useful panel.
The Downloads Panel shows download progress, and can sorted by name, type, size, date added, date finished, or address. In later versions all panels can have their own separate width, and the order of Web Panels can be changed with drag and drop.
The Progress Bar in the URL field has acquired a couple of fields to indicate page downloaded data size and number of elements.
Extensions can now have buttons on the UI in the URL field or to the far right of the address bar.
Vivaldi Final 1.0
(Released 6/4/2016) New Features include:–
- Icons on the Settings dialogue, navigation buttons on Web Panels, and a drop down in the URL for the typed history
- Visual tab cycler and better cookie management
- Private browsing
- Bookmark sorting: Manually, by Bookmark Name, Address, Nickname, or Tag.
- Shortcuts for Web Panels
- Geolocation Support
- Double-click on Vivaldi Icon to exit.
- Import data from Opera 12.18 with master passwords
- Mute Tabs Feature
- Netflix Support
- HTML5 Notifications
- Set font sizes and encoding
- Keyboard shortcuts shown in menus
- Move tabs between windows in the Tab context menu.
- Open new tabs next to active,
- Address bar: show full URL,
- Export bookmarks to HTML (File menu, Export Data).
- Show status bar as an overlay
- Hide close button on tabs option,
- Context menu on navigation buttons
- Scroll tabs with mouse-wheel option
- Display shortcuts in menus
- Global setting for zoom: Global Page Zoom in Settings
- Clone Tab Shortcut
- Colour behind tabs
- Bookmark manager added to Tools menu
- Option to Disable Rocker Gestures
- Session management,
- Per Site Zoom
- Hibernate Background Tabs
- Background Tab Progress Indicator,
- CSS Debugger
Vivaldi Final 1.1
(Released 26/04/2016) New Features include:–
- Enhanced tab handling
- Better hibernation
- Import Speed Dials from Opera 12
Vivaldi Final 1.2
(Released 02/06/2016) New Features include:–
- Editable Mouse Gestures
- New Tab Options
- Zoom to 150%
Vivaldi Final 1.3
(Released 11/8/2016) New Features include:–
- More commands for Mouse Gestures
- Privacy with WebRTC
- Middle click to navigation buttons opens in new background tab
- Customisable Themes
- Insert Notes into editable fields
- Expand Web Panels to Tabs
- Tab Previews no longer show by accident if disabled.
- Allow Speed Dial as homepage
This version includes customisable Themes to change the colours of the interface, About 1 year and 4 months after the release of the first Technical Preview, Vivaldi is still not quite as customisable as Opera 12.18, but it’s getting better as the months go by.
Vivaldi Final 1.4
(Released 8/9/2016) New Features include:–
- Schedules for changing themes
- Variable widths for different panels
- Middle-click on Trash to reopen last closed tab
- Drag URLs onto an existing tab or New Tab button
Vivaldi Final 1.5
(Released 22/11/2016) New Features include:–
- Search with context menu (Automatically detects installed search engines)
- Favicons for Search Engines
- More options for deleting private data
- Date/time of saving shown for saved sessions
- Drag and drop tabs and tab-stacks to other windows or to Trash
- Add a web panel by dropping a URL on the '+' button
- Search notes for URLs
- Incremental (Delta) updates from previous version.
- Reader View button in URL field
- Inline editing of Bookmarks and Notes
- Status Bar tooltips when hovering notes and downloads
Vivaldi Final 1.6
(Released 15/12/2016) New features include:–
- Tab Notifications
- Rename Tab-stacks
- Tab selection by domain (shortcut Ctrl / ⌘ + Double-click)
- Ctrl / ⌘ + click on URL field to truncate it
Vivaldi Final 1.7
(Released 8/2/2017) New Features include:–
- Mapped keyboard shortcuts for screenshots.
- Configurable lazy loading for pinned tabs.
- Native macOS notifications.
- Addition of StartPage private search engine
- Configurable top-level domain expansion.
- Toggle extensions visibility option in the address bar.
- Improved keyboard menu access on Windows/Linux for Chinese, Japanese and Korean users.
- Clear Private Data dialog remember state (VB-25581)
- Inspect moved to bottom of page context menu
Vivaldi Final 1.8
(Released 29/3/2017) New Features include:–
- Advanced History
- History Panel
- Pin Tab shortcut now also unpins pinned tabs.
- Option to disable Auto-update
- Copy selection to new note
- Populate Find in Page Toolbar with selection
- Google Image Search on image context menu
- Feedback page opens on uninstalling the browser
Vivaldi Final 1.9
(Released 27/4/2017 New Features include:–
- Added Ecosia as a pre-installed search engine
- Sort Notes
- Allow reordering of extension buttons
- “Filter by Site” added to history panel
- “Removed Web Panels” added to the context menu
Vivaldi Final 1.10
(Released 15/6/2017) New Features include:–
- Add image toggling to view menu and create shortcut for it
- Add option “Controlled by Extension” to “New Tab Page” settings
- Added options to turn off bookmarks and typed history in the Address Bar drop-down
- Custom Speed Dial thumbnail preview
- Dock Developer Tools to main window
- Implement sorting for Downloads
- Possibility to set an image for a Speed Dial folder
- Desktop wallpaper can be used as Start Page background image
Vivaldi Final 1.11
(Released 10/8/2017) New Features include:–
- New toolbar to configure Reader View (Wherever reader view is available and enabled, click the gear icon to change the options. Click it again to hide the toolbar).
- Option to hide icons on speed dial thumbnails
- Paste and go now works even if the address bar is hidden
- New program icon
- Media fixes for Windows 7
- Tab Switching Commands Renamed
- Option to disable GIF (and APNG) animations: Play Always, Once, or Never
- Slider to adjust mouse gesture sensitivity
- Updated to Chromium 60.0.3112.91
Vivaldi Final 1.12
(Released 20/09/2017) New Features include:–
- Sorting downloads by type
- Downloads progress indicator
- Downloads Information pane at bottom of downloads panel
- Limit Accent Colour Saturation for themes
- Settings: Better structure for Webpages sections
- Settings: Highlight keyword for search results
- Image Properties: Right-click on an image to examine its properties
- More Download Panel Information
- Translation updates
- Updated Chromium to 61.0.3163.91
Vivaldi Final 1.13
(Released 22/11/2017) New Features include:–
- Window Panel
- Downloads: Protect, Resume, Delete paused, Show speed
- Settings, Appearance: Menu icon instead of Vivaldi icon
- Replace Yahoo with Bing in countries where Yahoo was the default search engine
- Custom images for Speed Dial Folders
- Show bookmark dialog even when the address bar is hidden
Vivaldi Final 1.14
(Released 31/1/2018) New Features include:–
- Sort panels on the Panels toolbar by drag and drop
- Retain order for search engines in search with context menu
- Settings dialogue remembers its size and position
- Set a minimum size of the Settings Dialogue
- Sort Search Engines in Settings with D&D or Alt Up/Down cursor
- Easier Editing of Engines in Settings
- Larger margin on Bookmark Editor Panel
- Support for power events in Theme Scheduler
- Vertical Reader View: Allow in all languages
- Markdown Button to preview formatting of notes
- Command to Pin Tabs (no default shortcut)
- Theme Support for Power Events
- Updated translations
- Updated Chromium to 64.0.3282.121
Vivaldi Final 1.15
(Released 25/4/2018) New Features include:–
- Duplicate shortcuts show command that is already assigned
- Focus Address field shortcut shows URL field in Fullscreen mode
- Choose Search Engine for private windows
- Sort Search Engines with Cursor Keys
- Select Window background image
- Capture setting in Status Bar persists after browser restart
- Alt + Up/Down = Previous/Next section in Quick Commands
- Added Bookmarks Menu
- Toolbars can be toggled with shortcuts in Fullscreen mode
- Lower default mouse gesture sensitivity (20pix instead of 5pix)
- Sorting of Bookmarks Menu
- Show Tab Stacks in Window menu
- Mark Active Page in Tab Cycler
- Alt key Shortcuts now open the menus
- Improved MP3 support
- Translation Updates
- Upgraded Chromium to 65.0.3325.183
- Selected security patches from Chromium 66
Vivaldi Final 2.0
(Released 26/9/2018) • (Updated 2/10/2018) New Features include:–
- Syncing of Bookmarks, settings, etc.
- Floating Panels
- Resize Tiled Tabs
- List layout for Visual tab cycler
- Predefined shortcuts for moving active tab left and right
- Tile new tabs in a tab stack
- Control / Command opens new tab on history buttons
- Web panel suggestions with favicons
- More Speed dial suggestions using favicons
- New Welcome Page
- Updated Default Themes
- Minimum width setting for active tab
- Regression Fixes
- Allow Remove Tab Spacing in maximized windows on Mac
- Tab Casting of background tabs
- Better readability and contrast on Welcome Page
- Upgraded to Chromium 70 (3538.36)
(Released 2/10/2018) New Features include:–
- Open Quick Command items in a new tab via modifier keys
- Regression Fixes
- Support for vivaldi://restart and vivaldi://quit commands
- Notes search from Quick Commands
- UI Zoom from Quick Commands
- Bug and Regression Fixes
- Updated translations
- Further fixes to stop Google Account Consistency interfering with Cookies and Sync
- Upgraded Chromium to 70.0.3538.46
(Released 12/10/2018) New Features include:–
- Create new Note via Quick Commands
- Implement Picture-in-Picture video popout for pages that support it
- Allow creating a note from dragged text into closed Notes Panel
- [Mac]Redundant bookmarks menu items on macOS menu bar
- [Mac] Gray out main menu items when no windows are open
- Change UI zoom interval command to 25%
- Unify default document icons
- Title update enables badges on panel button icons
- Regression and Bug Fixes
- Upgraded translations
- Upgraded Chromium to 70.0.3538.58
- (VB-8008) Gesture Mapping Column in Settings Can Collapse to Zero
- (VB-18100) Find in Page Toolbar Shows with F3 Find Next
- (VB-28443) Cancelling a Download Leaves a Blank Tab (Confirmed)
- (VB-32722) Copy Data to Clipboard Needs some Feedback (Confirmed)
- (VB-32723) Select URL in Downloads Info Panel with Click (Confirmed)
- (VB-32724) Download URLs do not wrap (Confirmed)
- (VB-32753) Notes Panel Description Pane Does not Collapse (Confirmed)
- (VB-34183) Mouse-wheel Scrolling Does Not Zoom on Vivaldi forum Text Areas (Confirmed)
- (VB-35751) Shift F10 can be assigned but does not work (Confirmed)
- (VB-35959) Vivaldi Only Scores 97/100 on Acid 3 Test
- (VB-36277) No Icon for Search Engine Added on TypeDrawers
- (VB-37088) Difficult to Type Localhost File Path for Home Page (Confirmed)
- (VB-37247) Reopen Closed Tab Command Reopens Settings in a New Window (Confirmed)
- (VB-37280) Unable to Play Local Shockwave Flash Files (Confirmed)
- (VB-39837) Multi-media Keyboard Back/Forward Work in Both Tab and Focused Web Panels
- (VB-40294) YouTube Links Broken After Back from Fullscreen (Confirmed)
- (VB-40398) Search term "corner" not found in Settings (Confirmed)
- (VB-40433) YouTube Comments Display for Previously Watched Video (Confirmed)
- (VB-40457) Focus Password Field on Launching Sync (Feature Request)
- (VB-40744) MMB Autoscroll Disabled on moving cursor beyond view-port (Confirmed)
- (VB-41203) Can't rearrange tiles in the latest snapshot (Confirmed)
- (VB-41453) Tab Tile Position Not Changed on Reordering Tabs (See above)
- (VB-41577) Shortcuts Executed When Text is Selected in Text Edit Area
- (VB-41678) Tiled Local Pages Always Show Stop Loading Icon (In progress)
- (VB-41722) Search Field Should have Focus on Opening Help (Feature Request)
- (VB-41997) Slow loading of some localhost web pages (Reopened)
- (VB-42145) Password Column in Password Manager is too Narrow
- (VB-42175) Preferences Dialogue Opens in Wrong Position from Secondary Monitor (Windows Issue)
- (VB-42709) Mouse Cursor Disappears on Open File Dialogue if Fullscreen window active (Reopened)
- (VB-42823) Change Order of Tabs in Tiled Tab Stack Changes Orientation of Tiling (Confirmed)
- (VB-42889) Unrelated Web Pages Zooming with Use Tab Zoom Disabled (Cannot Reproduce)
- (VB-43059) Move Tab to Other Window Minimizes Remaining Tab (Reopened)
- (VB-43069) Vivaldi Snapshot Start Menu Icon Inverted (Confirmed)
- (VB-43498) Opening Bookmark from Bookmark Bar Opens Link to Two Windows
- (VB-43767) Delete Button is not visible for Long URLs in Zoom Settings
- (VB-43774) Link to Target New Window Fails to Open on Left-click
- (VB-44044) Tab Thumbnails are Sometimes Black
- (VB-44088) View Menu Status Bar Not Checked on Launch
- (VB-44261) Aspect Ratio of Bookmark Thumbnails
- (VB-44329) Grid Tiling Layout for Three Tabs is not Optimal
- (VB-44331) Creating Tab Stack from Tiled Grid Changes layout to Vertical Tiling
- (VB-44532) Shift+Enter on Quick Commands Opens Search in Current Tab and Opens a New Tab (Confirmed)
- (VB-44570) Deleted Notes Folder is Named Trash
- (VB-44645) Double-clicking a Note Without a URL Goes to the Start Page in the Current Tab
- (VB-44680) Crash while editing search in PDF (Confirmed)
- (VB-44884) Print Preview Never Loads
- (VB-44886) Video Play Buttons Lost on Moving Tab to Another Window
Bug Report Wizard
Page last updated on 13 October 2018