Download Latest Snapshot • Vivaldi Forum
Vivaldi is a viable alternative to replace the out-of-date Opera 12.17, which I currently use as my default browser, which does not work on an increasing number of sites. I am still waiting for the built-in email client and some more customising options, but Vivaldi is now almost ready for daily use.
Site Settings • Page Tiling • Page Zoom • Page Actions • Vivaldi Settings • Web Panels
Final 1.0 • 1.3 • 1.4 • 1.5 • 1.6 • 1.7 • 1.8 • 1.9 • 1.10 • 1.11 • 1,12 • Latest Snapshot • Known Bugs
TechCrunch: (January 27th 2015):
“The former CEO of Opera, Jon von Tetzchner, has released the Vivaldi Browser for fans of the old Opera. This initial release is a Technical Preview, i.e. it is neither feature complete, nor free from bugs that might spoil your day.
It uses the Chromium rendering engine like the new Opera. It already has Panels, Tab-stacking, Notes, Speed Dial, and Customisable shortcuts and Tabs. Built-in email is planned, but mail is limited to web mail at the moment.”
It may be some time before this is ready to use as your primary browser, but it’s already worth a look if you’re a fan of the old Opera 12.17 or earlier. Offer some constructive feedback on Vivaldi.net.
The settings dialogue already has a lot of options. Use the search field to locate them.
Click the site info icon in the address bar to display a popup menu showing the current settings for Cookies and Permissions.
The Cookies link on this popup tells you about the cookies set for the current site.
If one or more tabs are selected, the tiling icon is active, allowing the tiles to be tiled horizontally, vertically, or as a grid. Tiling can also be removed if it is already enabled for the current tab.
Images can be hidden or displayed on the current page, or only cached images can be shown.
The Zoom Slider allows the page zoom to be changed with the range 20% to 500% in 10% increments. Any value in that range can be set by entering it in the zoom field to the right of the slider. Click on Reset to change it back to whatever default value you have set in Settings, Webpages. In Settings, Appearance, Use Buttons in Range control. to choose between a slider and buttons. This affects all controls that have a range slider.
Vivaldi has a Page Actions button <> at the bottom right of the interface, just to the left of the Zoom slider.
Click this to show a popup menu of something akin to User Style sheets in Opera 12.17.
The most useful of them may be Reader View, which enlarges fonts, hides media, and changes the background to grey. Open an article on any BBC index page to see a Reader View icon in the URL field that toggles this mode on/off.
Filter Invert may be helpful for those who prefer white text on a black background.
Filter Black and White works as one would expect. This may be useful for colour-blind users if a site uses text on coloured backgrounds that is hard to read.
The Filter Obscure option offers some privacy if someone is looking over your shoulder. If it is left enabled, moving the mouse cursor to the page shows the page content again. Mouse-over the Page Actions icon to obscure the page content.
Vivaldi uses CSS for the page and interface elements. The Page Actions mentioned above apply CSS styles to the page.
Ask on the forums if you need help on using CSS. Almost anything can be changed if you know how. I hope that it will be made easier to make changes in future versions.
Changes are lost on installing updates, so follow the recommendation given in this post.
Vivaldi is already usable as a secondary browser. It has the most important features: Auto-update, Bookmark import from Opera 12.17 and other browsers, customisable shortcuts, basic mouse gestures, tab-stacking, find in page, and tab tiling is an excellent feature that already exceeds what could be done in Opera, even though Vivaldi lacks a Multiple Document Interface (MDI).
The developers release regular snapshots, fixing bugs and adding new features. Bookmark the Vivaldi Blog to keep abreast of developments. Help, check for updates to see if you have the latest version. The update check will happen automatically on launching Vivaldi. You can opt to install now or skip for now, and update later.
Click the image below to see the Vivaldi window with a tab-stack showing the previews, which update to show the current page view. Tab stacks can be closed with the close button, and each tab in the stack has its own close button on the tab preview. Two or more tabs in a stack can be tiled vertically. Stacked tabs can be pinned by using a shortcut, but pinned tabs cannot be stacked.
Snapshot 22.214.171.124 introduced web panels. These are usually web pages designed for mobiles, which are narrow enough to look good in the side panel. My Vimeo Web Panel can be used to watch videos while you are working. Copy the URL of the panel, and add it to the side panel in Vivaldi. The mobile version of Google Translate also makes a very useful panel.
The Progress Bar in the URL field has acquired a couple of fields to indicate page downloaded data size and number of elements.
Extensions can now have buttons on the UI in the URL field or to the far right of the address bar.
Vivaldi Final 1.0
(Released 6/4/2016) New Features include:–
- Icons on the Settings dialogue, navigation buttons on Web Panels, and a drop down in the URL for the typed history
- Visual tab cycler and better cookie management
- Private browsing
- Bookmark sorting: Manually, by Bookmark Name, Address, Nickname, or Tag.
- Shortcuts for Web Panels
- Geolocation Support
- Double-click on Vivaldi Icon to exit.
- Import data from Opera 12.17 with master passwords
- Mute Tabs Feature
- Netflix Support
- HTML5 Notifications
- Set font sizes and encoding
- Keyboard shortcuts shown in menus
- Move tabs between windows in the Tab context menu.
- Open new tabs next to awctive,
- Address bar: show full URL,
- Export bookmarks to HTML (File menu, Export Data).
- Show status bar as an overlay
- Hide close button on tabs option,
- Context menu on navigation buttons
- Scroll tabs with mouse-wheel option
- Display shortcuts in menus
- Global setting for zoom: Global Page Zoom in Settings
- Clone Tab Shortcut
- Colour behind tabs
- Bookmark manager added to Tools menu
- Option to Disable Rocker Gestures
- Session management,
- Per Site Zoom
- Hibernate Background Tabs
- Background Tab Progress Indicator,
- CSS Debugger
Vivaldi Final 1.3
(Released 11/8/2016) New Features include:–
- Editable Mouse Gestures with more commands
- Privacy with WebRTC
- Middle click to navigation buttons opens in new background tab
- Customisable Themes
- Insert Notes into editable fields
- Expand Web Panels to Tabs
- Tab Previews no longer show by accident if disabled.
- Allow Speed Dial as homepage
This version includes customisable Themes to change the colours of the interface, About 1 year and 4 months after the release of the first Technical Preview, Vivaldi is still not quite as customisable as Opera 12.17, but it’s getting better as the months go by.
Vivaldi Final 1.4
(Released 8/9/2016) New Features include:–
- Schedules for changing themes
- Variable widths for different panels
- Middle-click on Trash to reopen last closed tab
- Drag URLs onto an existing tab or New Tab button
Vivaldi Final 1.5
(Released 22/11/2016) New Features include:–
- Search with context menu (Automatically detects installed search engines)
- Favicons for Search Engines
- More options for deleting private data
- Date/time of saving shown for saved sessions
- Drag and drop tabs and tab-stacks to other windows or to Trash
- Add a web panel by dropping a URL on the '+' button
- Search notes for URLs
- Incremental (Delta) updates from previous version.
- Reader View button in URL field
- Inline editing of Bookmarks and Notes
- Status Bar tooltips when hovering notes and downloads
Vivaldi Final 1.6
(Released 15/12/2016) New features include:–
- Tab Notifications
- Rename Tab-stacks
- Tab selection by domain (shortcut Ctrl / ⌘ + Double-click)
- Ctrl / ⌘ + click on URL field to truncate it
Vivaldi Final 1.7
- Mapped keyboard shortcuts for screenshots.
- Configurable lazy loading for pinned tabs.
- Native macOS notifications.
- Addition of StartPage private search engine
- Configurable top-level domain expansion.
- Toggle extensions visibility option in the address bar.
- Improved keyboard menu access on Windows/Linux for Chinese, Japanese and Korean users.
- Clear Private Data dialog remember state (VB-25581)
- Inspect moved to bottom of page context menu
Vivaldi Final 1.8
- Advanced History
- History Panel
- Pin Tab shortcut now also unpins pinned tabs.
- Option to disable Auto-update
- Copy selection to new note
- Populate Find in Page Toolbar with selection
- Google Image Search on image context menu
- Feedback page opens on uninstalling the browser
Vivaldi Final 1.9
(Released 27/4/2017 • Updated 16/5/2017)
- Added Ecosia as a pre-installed search engine
- Sort Notes
- Allow reordering of extension buttons
- “Filter by Site” added to history panel
- “Removed Web Panels” added to the context menu
Vivaldi Final 1.10
- Add image toggling to view menu and create shortcut for it
- Add option “Controlled by Extension” to “New Tab Page” settings
- Added options to turn off bookmarks and typed history in the Address Bar drop-down
- Custom Speed Dial thumbnail preview
- Dock Developer Tools to main window
- Implement sorting for Downloads
- Possibility to set an image for a Speed Dial folder
- [Windows] Desktop wallpaper can be used as Start Page background image
Vivaldi Final 1.11
- New toolbar to configure Reader View (Wherever reader view is available and enabled, click the gear icon to change the options. Click it again to hide the toolbar).
- Option to hide icons on speed dial thumbnails
- Paste and go now works even if the address bar is hidden
- New program icon
- Media fixes for Windows 7
- Tab Switching Commands Renamed
- Option to disable GIF (and APNG) animations: Play Always, Once, or Never
- Slider to adjust mouse gesture sensitivity
- Updated to Chromium 60.0.3112.91
Vivaldi Final 1.12
- Sorting downloads by type
- Downloads progress indicator
- Downloads Information pane at bottom of downloads panel
- Limit Accent Colour Saturation for themes
- Settings: Better structure for Webpages sections
- Settings: Highlight keyword for search results
- Image Properties: Right-click on an image to examine its properties
- More Download Panel Information
- Translation updates
- Updated Chromium to 61.0.3163.91
- Browser no longer intercepts webpage shortcuts (Ctrl B etc.)
- Other Bug and regression fixes
- Windows Panel
- Download speed shown in Downloads Panel
- Extensive rewrite of code to improve speed
- Setting (in Appearance) to show a menu icon instead of the Vivaldi icon at top left
- Replace Yahoo with Bing in countries where Yahoo was the default search engine
- Dragging with middle mouse button no longer selects text
- Open bookmarks with single-click applies to Bookmarks Tab as well as the panel
- Allow deletion of paused downloads
- Disable thumbnails in Add Speed Dial suggestions
- Custom images for Speed Dial Folders
- Updated Chromium to 62.0.3202.63
- Show bookmark dialog even when the address bar is hidden
- Regression Fixes
- Regression Fixes
- Window Panel: Activate last active pinned tab when activating pinned folder
- Window Panel: Add support for “New stack for host”
- Audio icon colour in pinned tabs
- Regression Fixes
- Updated Chromium to 62.0.3202.90
- (VB-8008) Gesture Mapping Column in Settings Can Collapse to Zero
- (VB-8055) Icon to Show/Hide Panel on Wrong Side if Panels are on the Right
- (VB-15651) Pinned Tabs Cannot be Stacked (but stacked tabs can be pinned by using a shortcut)
- (VB-16517) Settings Dialogue Does Not Remember its Size
- (VB-17208) Unable to Assign Rocker Gestures to Zoom in/out
- (VB-18100) Find in Page Toolbar Shows with F3 Find Next
- (VB-21583) A dragged URL is not opened in a new tab when dropped on the tab bar
- (VB-32318) Pinned Tabs Cannot be Stacked
- (VB-32723) Select URL in Downloads Info Panel with Click
- (VB-32724) Download URLs do not wrap
- (VB-32753) Notes Panel Description Pane Does not Collapse
- (VB-33001) Alt+F No longer shows the File menu (Use Alt, then F)
- (VB-33069) Changing UI Zoom Resets Category to Startup
- (VB-34072) Flash Player Content Will Not Play
Fix: Site Settings, Flash: Always allow on this site
- (VB-34183) Mousewheel Scrolling Does Not Zoom on Vivaldi forum Text Areas
- (VB-34303) Popup Thumbnails Cannot be Used to Select Pinned Tabs
Page last updated on 14 November 2017